Friday, March 21, 2014

Youngest of Geezers

This post is really for my entertainment more than anybody else's, so I apologize in advance if the subject matter is less than exciting and fully forgive you if you scroll past. 

I had a colonoscopy on Friday!  "Horray?" you may say. "Why are you so excited about this? I hear they're much less than pleasant."  I'll tell you why it makes me smile.  I have now officially experienced both menopause and a colonoscopy, both before reaching the ripe old age of 25. Now I get to make jokes about secretly being 50! Teehee.

And, quite honestly, I think this attitude of amusement helped make the entire ordeal much more pleasant than it could have been otherwise.  Don't get me wrong, I'd rather not have one every year, but it definitely wasn't the worst morning I've spent in a hospital so far.  Even the prep wasn't horrible.  

So here are my highlights of the adventure:
  • I was starving.  All I wanted was a hamburger, and that's what got me to chug that gallon of 'joy' the night before.  
  • I slept the 'prep' night on the couch cushions in the hallway to have a shorter distance to run to the bathroom if needed.
  • My mom was kind enough to take Faye for the day.  We were so excited to see pictures of their adventures together while we were at the hospital.
  • Alan and I were definitely the youngest people in the waiting room by at least two decades.
  • Our nurse had streaks of bubblegum pink in her hair and was a pleasant young lady.  All three of us were in stitches as we joked about the occasion while we finished up paperwork and such.
  • Just before the sleeping meds were put into my IV the next nurse was joking that I should buy her a boat.
  • I woke up and was not crying!  I'm so proud of myself, that was the part I was most terrified about. 

 Me waking up.  I look so drugged still, I can't stop laughing when I see this picture.
  • Doc said they had to run a biopsy, but it should be no big deal.
  • Alan took me to lunch on the way home and I got my hamburger!  It was the best burger I've ever eaten.  
  • On our way home from the LDS Hospital we were stopped at a red light next to Temple Square and Elder Perry was walking across the street!  He waved at us.
  • I went home, slept, then went straight into a busy Friday night at work.  

I'm definitely not dreading a colonoscopy when I turn 50, especially if it means I get another heavenly hamburger.

No comments:

Post a Comment