Saturday, January 15, 2011

First Trimester

Part of me really wants to be a good Mormon girl and keep a record of everything that goes on, a journal so to speak.  To be honest, though, after standing on my feet for 8+ hours a day I'm usually exhausted by the time I get home and I have a house to tend to and homework to do.  So the journal idea, I don't do so well with it.  

However, here is another attempt.  We are officially on week 15 of our pregnancy, which means we are into the second trimester.  The first trimester was an adventure.  Morning sickness is a 24/7 experience for me.  I've thrown up at work, thrown up in several parking lots, thrown up in a national park, and I have thrown up next to a restaurant's welcome mat (I don't think the people at the first table were too excited about it, but I honestly was too busy to notice).  I've learned that when one throws up violently multiple times in one day, he or she will have many blood vessels break around his or her eyes (found it intriguing, personally).

Work has been a challenge.  I work for USU Dining Services as an Area Manager in The Hub.  Taco Time is my area, I've been there every day of business for nearly a year.  Let me tell you, though, pregnant nose is not my friend when I'm around ground beef, fried goods, and "all natural" customers day in and day out.  Now that I'm showing, my balance is off a bit, and after four hours of standing I start to waddle around the building.  Laying down seems to be the best solution to not throwing up, especially if eating more isn't an option.  Most of our nights are spent with Alan on the computer and me on the floor because I'm not ready to leave him.


My favorite part of all this is my "nausea medication."  The doctor perscirbed it to us with the description, "it's affordable but often makes people drowsy." Now that I've taken it a few times I will tell you this, it doesn't help with the nausea so much as it knocks one out so she's not awake to witness it.  I've fallen asleep in the middle of conversations after taking this pill, and then after sleeping for 10 hours, I'm still groggy.  Alan's even taken it when he can't sleep. Never the less, I keep this bottle of pills with me at all times just in case.

With all that said, I still feel like I'm blessed as a pregnant woman.  My mom had a hard time with most of her pregnancies and has mentioned being bedridden at week 6 for most of them.  Between her history and the accounts I've found online, I'm grateful to still be capable of working 40 hours a week and of keeping most of my meals down.

We've seen our baby once, and I'm sure he/she looks just like any other child at this point, but it's incredible how much love I already have for this little person.  I'm excited to see him/her again. 

 

4 comments:

  1. Great to hear about your pregnancy! I want to see a pic of your Baby Bump!

    Love Ya!
    Alexa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which medicine are you on? Not phenegren, is it? That stuff made me so tired I thought I'd fall into a coma on my own. Zofran makes people less tired. I'm on extra Vit B6 and Reglan on top of it too. So there are lots of options, just ask your doc for more ideas! Hang in there and another "WAHOO" for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You HAVE been sick. That's for sure. I was happy to see that you posted! Glad everything is going well with your pregnancy. But, I'm sorry that you've been so sick. Also, you are EXACTLY five weeks ahead of me. (I saw your little baby ticker). :) Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just thinking of you the other day, wondering how you were surviving working in the food world when you've been sick. Now I know. I'm impressed that you haven't thrown up on people while at work...they probably don't like vomit tacos. I just hope that you get through it soon!

    ReplyDelete