Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Mission Conqured

Remember this post? After months of moderate exercising while I was pregnant, my soul desired the blood, sweat, and tears that come with a great work out. Well, what you may not know is I had to wait much longer than the few months I had anticipated before I could really exercise again.  I had a few complications after delivering Faye that caused me to be in intense, lasting pain if I participated in anything more than a mild walk.  This delayed my exercise plans an additional 7 months.  After several trips to the doctor I was able to run again!  I picked a Half Marathon to train for and was excited to have my Mom's support- she planned to run it with me even though the Ogden Marathon was only a week prior to this race.  

Training went well for a month or so before we hit another hurdle: Allergy Season.  For me that translates into regular asthma attacks, even during everyday life.  After more doctor visits I was able to get the medication I needed to get my breathing in control, but I still was using my rescue inhaler multiple times a day in addition to my preventive medication.  

Keeping all this in mind, Race day came whether I was ready for it or not.  The weather was beautiful, the company excellent, and the experience was great!  It was a hard race for me, especially since the course wound about several fields and along a river trail (AKA 80% of the plants I'm allergic to).  But Mom was there smiling the whole way.  We met some great people: a son running the race in honor of his mother who is fighting breast cancer, an expectant mother who is 3 months pregnant, and young couple who were racing with their kids in the jogging stroller. 


I'm focused on making it to the finish and mom is just enjoying her day. We came in at a lengthy 2:32, but I'm pleased with my time for now.


I was so happy to see our cheering squad at the finish line.  Alan walked with  me while I tried to get my breathing in control again.  I'll admit it, I was crying a bit-  I seem to do that when I can't breathe.


Five minutes and a glass of water later I was feeling much better!  


Faye was enjoying the watermelon pieces at the end of the race.  She would nearly dive off of Alan to continue sucking on the rinds. 


 
It feels good to be on this side of my first Half Marathon.  I plan to keep at this even though I'm not planning to win anything.  But hey, there are better things than winning, right? 

2 comments:

  1. You rock Hannah! Glad you were able to keep the asthma under control to finish your first half! great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is amazing! Good job Hannah!

    ReplyDelete