Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Another Nine

Sometimes trials are funny.  Nobody really wants to struggle in life, nor do they typically ask to have a rough time (granted human stupidity often gets in the way, but oh well).  Some trials, though, help to define a person, build character, faith, and relationships. My most valued trial in life has been the development of asthma.  I know, it sounds weird, but being an asthmatic has broadened my perspective so much and it has become such a part of me that, as long as it's under control, I wouldn't give it up for anything.

I always have thought of my asthma as an added obstacle to overcome- like when you're playing pinochle with a bad hand and you're on the verge of winning the game.  This past week, though, I've discovered I have another junk card in my hand.

As mentioned here, I've had a few struggles with recovering from having a baby.  I've been on numerous trips to the doctor to try and solve the mystery of why I have been in pain since my child was born.  My latest trip was to a new OB who was able to put the puzzle pieces together.  Obvious to him, my pain is caused by Endometriosis.  Upon hearing this news I became overwhelmed with a mixture of emotions: gratitude to know what's causing the pain, then shock, then fear.  Endometriosis is a chronic disease and has a reputation for causing infertility as it progresses. 

After the initial wave of shock, and a few hugs from family members, I decided that this wasn't a bad thing.  The pain is currently manageable and the doctor is working with me to try and slow down the condition.  Should the worst happen I'd be a few organs short, but alive and still able to enjoy living.  I have accepted this new information about the body I've been given and I plan to make the best of it. 

4 comments:

  1. Oh wow, after just coming home from my own annual checkup, I've had topics like this on my mind all day. In my experience, any parts of us that makes us female are often the ones that can dish the hardest pains to get through--I'm so sorry! I hope you can get through this and be comforted with everything that is in the future. Please let me know if you need anything--pick up that phone and call or text me! 801-560-2431

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I lived close by so that I could give you a hug. You are a tough girl, and I admire you for that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so surprised when you told me the news. Trials are weird how they affect our lives and perspective. I know it's part of the plan, but sometimes they are just hard. Let me know if you just want to talk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny how this life can throw you a curve ball now and then, isn't it? Like President Hinkley said, "Everything is under control". It's my mantra and you can borrow it if you want to! Keep up that positive attitude-

    ReplyDelete