Thursday, May 26, 2011

Challenge #3

The proposal: how it happened, how long were you engaged for? was it a total surprise?

After Alan asked my parents for permission we announced our decision to be married even though Alan had not formally proposed.  If I remember correctly we began telling family members during the middle of June.  Wedding plans began from there, a date was chosen, my wedding dress had been picked out, arrangements at the temple made, etc.  By July 11th I was anxious and wondering why he hadn't proposed yet. It was the day of Riverton City's Demolition Derby, so I had to work that night.  Alan came down to spend time with me before work and then was planning to help out at the event that evening.  He suggested we go for a walk either around the lake at Daybreak or down in the riverbottoms.  We headed to the riverbottoms and set out on a walk together.  I voiced my concerns to Alan- something I regret now- and at that point he made a few excuse which I bought.  When we reached the turn around  point the following dialog occured:

A: "I have a question for you?"
H: "I have an answer." (please note I hadn't notice Alan fall behind me at this point.  I turned around to find him on his knee holding out a little black box with a beautiful ring inside.)
A: "Will you marry me?"

I was so taken aback! I squealed.  I said yes.  I threw my arms around Alan and kissed him.  In my excitement I put on my engagement ring-  I still feel bad for not letting him put it on me but I wasn't thinking too clearly at that moment. 

I think it's important to note that this rivertrail is the same one the half marathon ended on which means Alan proposed to me maybe a mile away from where we were working that first day we met.  

We frolicked back to our car and then to the rodeo grounds to help with the demolition derby.  I was grinning the whole night.  Mom and dad surprised me by showing up early from their trip to St. George; Mom's arm was in a sling and she had scrapes and bruises all over her.  She hurried over to see my ring- Alan had apparently called them to say he was going to propose today. 

And then we watched the demolition derby.  How romantic.

No comments:

Post a Comment